Updated: Aug 25, 2022
Dal Makhni is one of the most popular dish in the Indian cuisine. This dish originated in Punjab (a state in Northern part of India) In Hindi (an Indian language) "Dal" means lentil and "Makhan" means butter. So Dal Makhni is lentils cooked in butter and cream. This is a very delicious and nutritious dish.
Dal Makhani – Lentils cooked in butter and cream (serving size -4)
Heavy bottomed pan & lid
Pressure cooker or Instant pot or Regular pot and lid
1/4 cup red beans
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 stick unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil / vegetable oil
You can find all the below ingredients in Indian grocery store or Amazon.com
1 cup whole urad dal
2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon kasoorimethi powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1. Add 1 cup whole urad dal and 1/4 cup red beans in a bowl. Add 4 cups of water and soak it overnight.
2. The next day wash the urad dal and red beans and cook them in a pressure cooker or an Instant pot until the lentils become soft.
3. If you do not have a pressure cooker or Instant pot, add the soaked urad dal and red beans in a pot and add 4 cups of water. Cook the lentils in high heat for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn down the heat to low, close the pot and cook until the lentils become soft.
4. Heat a heavy bottomed pan on the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 stick of unsalted butter in the pan. When we add oil and butter together, the oil will prevent the butter from burning in the pan.
5. When the butter has melted completely add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in the pan. When cumin seeds start making crackling noise add 1 cup chopped tomato, 2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder ,1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Cook the contents in medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
7. After 5 minutes add the cooked lentils into the pan and add 1 cup water. Mix the contents well, close the pan and cook in low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
8. After 30 minutes open the pan, add 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream, mix the contents well and cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
9. After 3 minutes switch off the heat. Dal Makhni is ready.