Updated: Nov 2
Chicken vindaloo recipe (Serving size - 4)
Utensils required – Heavy bottomed pan with a lid, spatula and electric food processor
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup peeled garlic
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil/ vegetable oil
2 pounds chicken drumsticks or chicken breast cut into 2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
5 whole cloves
5 whole dried red chilies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup diced tomatoes
1. Add 2 inch cinnamon stick, 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper corns, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 5 whole cloves, 6 whole dried red chilies & 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in the electric food processor and blend the spices into a smooth powder.
2. Once the spices are blended smoothly add 1/4 cup peeled garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped ginger, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and 1/4 cup water to the spice powder and blend it into a smooth paste.
3. Score the chicken drumsticks in the fleshy part so that the flavors from the spices can infuse in the meat.
4. Coat the chicken drumsticks with the spice paste and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes heat a heavy bottomed pan on the stove.
6. Add 4 tablespoons of oil in the pan and heat for 1 minute.
7. When the oil is hot add 1 cup chopped onion and cook on medium heat for 3minutes. After 3 minutes add the marinated chicken drumsticks in to the pan and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
8. After 5 minutes add 1 cup diced tomatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water into the pan. Mix the contents well and close the pan.
9. Cook on medium heat until the meat turns soft.
10. Switch off the stove when the chicken is fully cooked. Serve the Chicken vindaloo with warm rice or roti
Learn to cook authentic Indian dishes at Santhoshi's Kitchen. We offer cooking classes in our spacious studio located near Charlotte, NC. I promise that I will help you create the yummy Indian curry sauce / fluffy basmati rice/ soft Indian bread (Roti) you had at your local Indian restaurant. Signup for our cooking class and cook Indian food with confident. You can also purchase our Gift certificate for you friend or family member who loves Indian food!