How to make ghee?
Ghee is nothing but melted and clarified butter. Home made ghee is very easy and most people like it better than store brought ghee.
Ghee is used in a lot of Indian recipes. Most of the Indian desserts are made with it. Ghee also has high medicinal value to it. It helps to improve digestion.And it's also believed to strengthen the brain and nervous system . Lentil rice with ghee is a common baby food in India. Moms used to cook rice and lentils separately and mix them together into a soft and smooth consistency for babies to eat easily. And then while the rice and lentil mixture is still warm they add a teaspoon of ghee ,which melts right into it. They add little salt to it and feed the lentil rice to their babies. It is a simple and nutritious baby food . The ghee gives a nice flavor and aroma to the dish. In fact adults too add a teaspoon of ghee to warm rice and sambhar(lentil soup). Sambhar rice with ghee is a favorite dish in Tamil Nadu(a state in Southern India)
How to make Ghee:
1. Place 1/2 lb unsalted butter in a heavy bottomed deep pan.
2. Melt the butter in low heat .
3. Once the butter has completely melted , it starts making light crackling sound.
4. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning in the bottom of the pan. Once the crackling noise stops, switch off the heat.
5. Filter the melted butter using a metal strainer or cheese cloth into a clean jar.
6. There you have your home made ghee. You can store the ghee at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Please feel free to send me any questions you have about Indian Food and I will try to answer it to the best of my knowledge. Namaste!