Updated: Dec 10, 2020
"Chai" means tea in Hindi(Indian language). Indians consume coffee or tea two times a day. One in the morning before breakfast and another in the evening any where between 4 p.m to 5 p.m. Traditionally milk and sugar will be added to both coffee and tea.
During weekends my mom would sleep in a little longer.My dad is always an early riser. Like my dad I am also an early riser, so he would ask me to make Chai or Coffee. This was when I was in middle school. I would make chai for my dad and me. We would enjoy the warm chai in the early morning hours listening to the birds singing. I love recollecting those happy memories! In this blog I am sharing my foolproof chai recipe. If you follow this recipe to the 'T' I can assure you that your Chai will taste delicious.
Chai tea (serving size -2)
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Red label tea powder(you can find it in Indian store)
1. Add 1 cup water in a pot and heat the water for 3 minutes in medium heat.
2. After 3 minutes add 1 tablespoon tea powder , 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder , 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger and 2 tablespoons sugar in the water.
3. Let the contents boil for 3 more minutes in medium heat.
4. When the water comes to a rolling boil add 1 cup milk into the pot.
5. Heat the contents in medium heat , switch of the heat when the milk is about to boil over.
6. Filter the chai or tea using a tea filter.
7. Enjoy your hot "Chai"
After adding milk , please don't walk away from the pot before switching off the heat. I have done this mistake a few times and the milk has boiled over the stove top creating a huge mess. If you like your chai less sweeter you can reduce amount of sugar in the recipe.