Updated: Oct 5, 2022
Matar mushroom recipe
Utensils required - Wide heavy bottomed pan with lid
4 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen green peas
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped tomato
2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1. Place a wide heavy bottomed pan on the stove and switch on the heat.
2. Add 5 tablespoons vegetable oil. When the oil is hot add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
3. When the cumin seeds turn dark brown add 1 cup chopped onion and cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes add 2 cups chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water.
5. Mix the contents well, close the pan with a lid and cook in medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
6. Cook the sauce until you notice tiny drops of oil oozing around the edges of the pan.
7. At this stage add 4 cups sliced mushrooms and 1 cup frozen peas in the pan and contents well. Cook in medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
8. After 10 minutes add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi and mix the contents well. Cook in low heat for 2 minutes and switch off the heat. Matar paneer is ready to be served.
Now you can receive FREE Indian Spice kits when you sign up for our Online cooking courses. Our courses provide you easy to follow cooking instructional videos, written recipes and a live person answering all your questions regarding the recipes. With the help of our cooking course, you can create authentic Indian food at the comfort of your own kitchen. Please click here to sign up for our Online cooking course. Hope you enjoyed reading my blog! Please share your questions and comments about Indian food and culture in the comment section. I would be happy to answer them for you.