Chicken Do Pyaza – Chicken curry cooked in yogurt sauce (serving size - 4)
Utensils required - Wide heavy bottomed pan with a lid, large bowl and a small bowl.
Food pairing suggestion - Chicken Do Pyaza can be served with rice/ naan/ roti.
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1 cup pureed tomato
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 cup onion cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup tomato cut into 2 inch pieces
2 lbs. chicken drumstick
1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and add 4 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot add 1 cup of finely chopped onion. Fry the onion until it turns light brown in color.
2. Once the onion turns light brown in color add 3 tablespoons of ginger and garlic paste. Cook the contents in medium heat. Once the ginger & garlic paste start sticking to the pan add 1 cup of pureed tomato.
3. Cook in medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
4. Score the chicken drumsticks in the fleshy area. Add the chicken in a large bowl.
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the chicken. Mix the contents well and coat the chicken evenly with the spice powders.
6. Add the chicken into the pan and add 1/2 cup water. Close the pan and cook in medium heat for 5 minutes.
7. Take a small bowl and add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix the contents well and add the yogurt mixture and 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder and 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi powder into the chicken. Close the pan with a lid and cook in medium heat.
8. Once the chicken is cooked add 1/2 cup of onion (cut into 2 inch pieces) and 1/2 cup of tomato (cut into 2 inch pieces) into the pan and close it with a lid.
9. Cook in medium heat for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes switch off the heat and open the pan. Chicken Do Pyaza is ready to be served.