Chicken chettinad is a spicy southern Indian chicken curry. If you like Indian spicy curries you will love this dish. You can make a huge batch of this curry and freeze some for a busy day when you don't have time to cook.
Heavy bottomed pan with lid
A small electric food processor
Ingredients (Serving size - 2 to 4 people)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons oil (coconut oil / olive oil / vegetable oil)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 lb chicken breast or thigh (cut into small 2 inch pieces)
1 teaspoon salt
(You can find all the ingredients given below in an Indian grocery store)
3 tablespoons garlic and garlic paste
1/4 cup curry leaves (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped Thai green chili
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
2 inches black stone flower ( dagad phool in native language)
4 counts cloves
4 counts dried red chili
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Take a small bowl and add all the following spices in it - 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 2 inches black stone flower, 4 counts cloves, 4 counts dried red chili, 2 teaspoons coriander seeds and 1 teaspoon whole black pepper.
2. Heat a heavy bottomed pan for 2 minutes in medium heat. When the pan is hot add all the spices you collected in the small bowl. Dry roast the spices in medium heat until they turn brown in color.
3. Once the spices turn brown in color turn off the heat , transfer them into a bowl and let it cool.
When the spices have cooled down blend them into a fine powder using the food processor.
4. Heat the heavy bottomed pan for 2 minutes in medium heat. When the pan is hot add 3 tablespoons of oil and heat for 1 minute. When the oil is heated add the spice powder you prepared into the oil. Fry the spices in the oil for 1 minute in medium heat.
5. When the spice powder is fried in the oil add 1 cup chopped and 3 tablespoons of ginger and garlic paste into the pan. Saute the onion and ginger & garlic paste in medium heat for 3 minutes.
6. After the onion and the ginger & garlic paste have been cooked for 3 minutes add 1/4 cup curry leaves, 2 cups chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon chopped thai green chili, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook the contents in medium heat for 5 minutes to prepare the masala.
7. When the masala is cooked add the 1 lb chicken (cut into 2 inch pieces) into the pan. Add 1/4 cup water into the chicken and mix the contents.
8. Close the pan with a lid and cook the contents in medium heat for 10 minutes. And then cook the chicken in low heat for 5 more minutes. After 15 minutes open the lid and check if the chicken is fully cooked. If not cook close the lid and cook the chicken for few more minutes in low heat.
9. When the chicken is fully cooked add 1/4 cup coconut milk into the chicken and mix the contents well. Close the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes in medium heat. After 5 minutes switch off the heat and open the lid. Delicious Chicken chettinad is ready. You can serve it with rice or roti (whole wheat flat bread).