Mor Khozhumbu- Yogurt sauce (serving size 2 – 4 people)
Heavy bottomed pan
Small electric food processor
Mixing bowl and whisk
Food pairing suggestion – Mor Khozhumbu is served with rice and urulai kizhangu varuval (potato fry)
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups okra (cut into 2 inch long pieces)
2 cups plain yogurt
You can find all the below ingredients in an Indian grocery store or Amazon
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal
1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon chana dal
1 cup shredded frozen coconut
1/4 teaspoon asafetida
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
4 Thai green chilies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1. Soak 1/4 cup chana dal in water for 2 hours. Thaw one cup of frozen coconut.
2. Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove. Heat the pan for 3 minutes in medium heat.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of oil in the pan and add 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon chanan dal, 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1/4 teaspoon asafetida.
4. Fry the ingredients in medium heat until the urad dal and chana dal turn golden brown in color.
5. Add 2 cups of Okra, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 cup water into the pan. Cook the contents in medium heat for 10 minutes.
6. In the meantime make the coconut paste. Add 1 cup shredded coconut, 1/4 cup chana dal which has been soaked in water for 2 hours, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger and 1/4 cup water in a small electric food processor and make a smooth paste.
7. Add 2 cups plain yogurt and add the coconut paste into a mixing bowl. Use a whisk and mix the contents well. Add 3 cups of water little by little and keep mixing the contents to make a thin watery mixture. The coconut & yogurt mixture is ready
8. When the Okra is cooked add the coconut and yogurt mixture into the pan and cook in medium heat for 5 minutes. Do not stir the contents.
9. After 5 minutes the sauce will start to boil and form small bubbles on the top surface. Switch off the heat at this stage and add 2 teaspoons of salt and mix the contents well.
10. Serve the Mor Khozhumbu with warm rice.