Matar paneer – Indian cheese and green peas curry (serving size 2- 4)
Heavy bottomed pan
Food pairing suggestions – Matar paneer can be served with rice or roti (flat wheat bread) or naan
4 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 + 1/2 cup water
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
You can find all the ingredients given below in an Indian grocery store
Whole spices (2 bay leaves, 2 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick)
4 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon Kasoorimethi powder (dried fenugreek leaf powder)
2 cups paneer (cut into small cubes)
1. Place the heavy bottomed pan on the stove and heat for 2 minutes in medium heat. Collect all the whole spices (2 bay leaves, 2 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick) in a small bowl.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of oil in the pan. Heat for 1 minute in medium heat and then add the whole spices in the pan.
3. Fry the spices until they turn light brown in color. Once they turn light brown in color remove from oil and keep them aside.
4. Add 1 cup finely chopped onion in the same pan. Sauté for 2 minutes and then add 4 tablespoons of ginger and garlic paste into the pan. Cook the contents in medium heat for 3 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 teaspoon salt in the pan. Cook the contents in medium heat for 5 minutes.
6. Add 1 cup frozen peas and 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) into the pan and cook the contents in medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
7. Add 1 cup water and 2 cups cubed paneer into the pan and cook in medium heat for 5 minutes. Delicious Matar paneer is ready.