Kadai Paneer recipe - Indian cheese in a creamy red sauce
Kadai Paneer – Indian cheese is a creamy red sauce (serving size – 2 -4)
Heavy bottomed pan
Electric food processor
Food pairing suggestions
Kadai Paneer can be served with rice/ naan/ roti.
1 cup cubed onion
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 tablespoons oil (olive oil / vegetable oil)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
You can find all the below ingredients in an Indian grocery store or Amazon
2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
2 counts dry red chilies (if you want to make a milder version add 1 dry red chili)
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (if you want to make a milder version reduce the amount of chili powder)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon kasoorimethi powder
2 cups cubed paneer
1. Place the heavy bottomed pan on the stove. Add 2 counts dry red chilies, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon fennel seeds and dry roast in medium heat until the spices turn dark brown in color.
2. When the spices roasted remove them from the pan and let them cool down. Once they cool down blend them into a coarse powder in food processor.
3. Add 1 cup cubed onion, 1 cup chopped tomato and 2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste in a food processor and blend into a smooth puree.
4. Heat the heavy bottomed pan for 1 minute in medium heat. When the pan is hot add 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 stick of butter in the pan.
5. When the butter melts add the dry roasted spice powder and fry in low heat for 1 minute.
6. After 1 minute add the onion & tomato puree into the pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1/2 teaspoon of kasoorimethi powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
7. Cook the contents in medium heat until the oil starts to ooze out from the sauce. Stir occasionally to avoid burning of the sauce.
8. When the oil starts to ooze out the sauce add 2 cups paneer, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Cook the contents in medium heat for 5 minutes.
9. Switch off the heat and store the kadai paneer in a closed container until ready to serve.