Chili chicken (serving size 2 – 4 people)
Wok for deep frying
Heavy bottomed pan
Food pairing suggestions - Chili chicken can be served with plain rice or fried rice.
2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs (cut into 2 inch pieces)
3 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 cups cubed onion (cut into 2 inch pieces)
2 cups cubed bell pepper (cut into 2 inch pieces)
2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon of Thai green chili (cut into 1 inch pieces)
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
Oil for deep frying
1. Take a wide bowl and add the chicken pieces, 3 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder. Crack open an egg and add it into the chicken and mix the contents well.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of corn starch into the marinated chicken and mix it well.
3. Heat a wok and add oil for deep frying the marinated chicken pieces. Heat the oil in medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. To check if the oil is hot enough add a small pieces of chicken into the oil. If you see oil bubbles forming around the chicken and hear sizzling noise the oil has reached the right temperature. If you don’t see oil bubbles being formed around the chicken and hear very low or no sizzling noise. The oil is not hot enough. Remove the chicken piece and add it to the marinating chicken. Heat the oil for 2 more minutes in medium heat.
5. Deep fry the chicken in the oil in medium heat. Do not crowd the chicken pieces. If the wok is small, fry the chicken in two or three batches. Fry the chicken until it turns golden brown on all sides.
6. Keep the fried chicken pieces aside.
7. Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove. Heat the pan for 3 minutes in medium heat.
8. Add 3 tablespoons of oil in the pan and add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger. Sauté for 1 minute.
9. Add 2 cups of cubed onions, 2 cups of cubed bell peppers and 1 tablespoon of Thai green chili in to the pan. Cook the contents in medium heat for 3 minutes in medium heat.
10. After 3 minutes add 2 tablespoons of chili garlic sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the pan. Mix the contents and cook in medium heat for 2 minutes.
11. After 2 minutes add the golden fried chicken into the pan and mix the contents well and cook in low heat for 1 minute.
12. Serve the chili chicken with warm white rice or fried rice.