How to make "Chai"
"Chai" means tea in Hindi(Indian language). Normally Indians consume coffee or tea two times a day. One in the Morning before breakfast and another in the evening any where between 4 p.m to 5 p.m. Traditionally milk will be added to both coffee and tea. I would like to share my Chai recipe with you in this blog
Chai (serving size -2)
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Red label tea powder(you can find it in Indian store)
1. Add 1 cup water in a pot and heat the water for 3 minutes in medium heat.
2. After 3 minutes add 1 tablespoon tea powder , 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder , 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger and 2 tablespoons sugar in the water.
3. Let the contents boil for 3 more minutes in medium heat.
4. When the water comes to a rolling boil add 1 cup milk into the pot.
5. Heat the contents in medium heat , switch of the heat when the milk is about to boil over.
6. Filter the chai or tea using a tea filter.
7. Enjoy your hot "Chai"
P.S- After adding milk , please don't walk away from the pot before switching off the heat. I have done this mistake a few times and the milk has boiled over the stove top creating a huge mess. If you like your chai less sweeter you can reduce amount of sugar in the recipe.